Spanish class is coming along nicely.
We had a substitute teacher this week and she clearly thought we were a lot smarter than we actually are. I mean we DO know a lot of words but clearly we are missing a few of the fillers because when she spoke to us completely in Spanish, we all stared blankly. It was comforting that everyone had the same reaction and that is wasn’t just me!
But in keeping with the mood, I’ve keep trying to make pre-class dishes to get us in the mood.
I cooked up a little meal size Spanish rice to tide us over.
Here’s what you will need:
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper of your choice, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp of chili flakes ( more if you like)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Heat up your dutch oven and add olive oil. Then add all of the above and cook till wilted about 5 – 7 minutes.
- 1 cup brown short grain rice ( I’m a brown rice kinda gal but any rice will do)
Mix the uncooked rice in with the cooking vegetables until it is well coated with everything.
- a splash of red wine vinegar
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes + some water or stock if it is a small tin
Bring this up to a boil and then turn down to #2 on the dial, put on a tight fitting lid and let the rice cook. The time will depend on what kind of rice you are using.
When the rice looks nearly cooked you will then add:
- 1 tin of black beans ( rinse them first)
Stir them in and replace the lid until the rice is nice and tender.
At this point it is still a vegan item but you could have added some chorizo sausage somewhere along the way or on the side.
But tonight I just served it up in a bowl and sprinkled with some grated cheese and a few chopped green onions.