One of my favorite things to eat in summer time whether I am trying to be “RAW” or not is a nice cold soup of some kind.
My favorite is one I found last summer, a raw corn and avocado soup. Here’s what you will need:
- 4 or 5 ears of fresh corn on the cob, corn taken off for about 4 cups of kernels
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 small red onion or two green onions ( white and green parts) coarsely chopped
- 1 good size handful of fresh cilantro leaves and stems okay too
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle tabasco ( click here to see what I mean ) but DON’T use this if being “RAW”
- 1 pinch sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of almond milk ( raw only if you are being “RAW”)
Toss all this stuff into the blender and whiz it up until it is a nice think creamy soup and then put in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour to chill it down.
Portion it up into bowls and garnish with a few kernels of saved corn, or some finely chopped red pepper, or a few leaves of cilantro, or a combo of all of them. I also find that it is helpful to chill the bowls before serving too.
Delish!! And surprisingly filling.
Another nice “RAW” soup that I’ve tried is this Gazpacho( click here for recipe ). This was really nice, however, if you are trying to follow the rules of “RAW” you can not toast the walnuts, they too must be raw and the vinegar is questionable, substitute with 2 tbsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice instead. Pumpkin seeds would work well as a topping too.
But both of these make wonderful summer soups, “RAW” or not so give them a try!